The Champagne’s region is for wine lovers and is also known for its great churches, the most famous one being the Reims Cathedral. Since the 11th Century all the kings of France have come to Reims, the city of coronation, to be crowned in the remarkable cathedral. This is a masterpiece of flamboyant gothic art. Its exceptional ornamentation is marked by curious gargoyles symbolising evil spirits.
Epernay is the home of some of the best known “maisons de champagne”. You will visit the chalky caves and taste prestigious brands of Champagne, Moet et Chandon, Pommery, Louis Roederer. Dom Perignon, was a famous monk who discovered the secret of the alchemy of the Champagne.
Distance from Paris : 144 KM
How to get there :
On your own, by train : Several direct TGV trains are available daily, from Paris-Gare de l’Est train station (20 minutes by cab from the hotel). The duration of the trip by train is only 45 mn. Direct fast TGV trains are also available for the return trip.
On your own, by car : The duration of the trip will be roughly 1h45 mn using the motorway A4 from Paris “Porte de Bercy” to Reims.
Champagne private car and English speaking driver :
- A knowledgeable driver can be arranged for an amazing day the Champagne region, quotation on request.
- When available, we also work with a great and passionate independant English speaking driver-guide who has an excellent knowledge of the Champagne region. He can either pick you up at the hotel in Paris, or he can meet you at the train station in Reims. Quotation on request.
Places to have lunch :
• Le Parc les Crayères ( 2 * Michelin ) : located in a park, in the heart of Reims.
• Le Jardin les Crayères : Sister casual restaurant of Le Parc les Crayères.
• L'assiette Champenoise (3 * Michelin) : Wonderful mansion located in a park.
• Brasserie Flo : Casual brasserie, "Art Déco" style.
The temperature is rather low in the wine-cellars : don’t forget to bring a coat !